Friday, April 6, 2018

Right Action, or Right Conduct?



Buddha Sloth loves donuts!

In Right Action, the fourth step of the Noble Eightfold Path, Buddha teaches us the behaviors from which we must abstain. They are:


  1. Do not kill sentient beings (if it poops, or had a mom, don't kill!)
  2. Do not steal (this includes the philosophy of "finders, keepers; losers, weepers")
  3. Abstain from sexual misconduct (see #MeToo movement)

It is common sense that we shouldn't kill, rape, or steal. So if this is all that there is to winning at Right Action, shouldn't most of us get a pretty sweet participation trophy?!

But what about our daily temptations which challenge our integrity, productivity, health, family, or work ethic? What about the excuses we make to justify our procrastination? Or the loopholes we create to gain something undeserved, or to avoid our obligations? 

I believe that there must be more than the don'ts of Right Action when contemplating being a better person, or achieving our goals. So, to me it is no coincidence that Right Action is also referred to as Right Conduct. Conduct, as defined by the Oxford Dictionary, is "the manner in which a person behaves..." As such, I must consider the way in which I conduct myself in my daily life, as I negotiate Buddha's Noble Eightfold Path.

I find it pretty easy to go about my day without murdering, plundering, and pillaging. Rather, I have to think of Right Action in all aspects of my daily conduct. In considering Right Action/Conduct, along with all of the steps of the Noble Eightfold Path, I am reminded that this practice is meant to aide in the achievement of our personal goals, hold us accountable to being kinder citizens, and to avoid, or lessen our suffering.

Often our choices and results help us to achieve or derail us from our goals. And those choices are often the root of our suffering, If I choose to eat an entire pizza instead of having a salad, I know I will suffer when I feel like a lethargic, bloated sloth! Or, rather than regret binge watching twelve hours of Netflix, couldn't I be exercising, reading, or helping with household chores. Right Action to me, is often resisting the urge to succumb to my spirit animal, the sloth, for short term enjoyment, and focus on my long-term results.

I have learned that through Right Action I must conduct myself in a way to avoid those moments of regret where I tell myself what I should or should not have done. Instead, focus on what I can do now to work towards achievements to be proud of later, which will negate the suffering of regret. As such, it is no wonder that Speech, Action, and Livelihood (which I will examine later) all fall within the Noble Eightfold Path's division of Ethics. What we say, how we behave, and how we conduct ourselves in our work can be measured by asking ourselves:

  • Is what I am saying/doing Right Action?
  • Am I being fair to my employees, co-workers, and boss?
  • Is my conduct in line with the vision, and goals of my employer?
  • Am I delivering the best service that I can provide to my customers?
  • Am I being fair, ethical, honest, and grateful?
  • Will my conduct detract, or bring me closer to achieving my personal goals?
  • Will I regret the choices I am making?
  • Will my conduct impact others negatively or positively?

Now, I believe that Right Action comes in many sizes. It may be as heroic as a firefighter saving someone from a burning building, or as mundane as treating a friend to lunch. But when it comes from a place of loving kindness, and gratitude, committing Right Action of any type towards someone can make a difference in their day, and yours. 

As Mahatma Ghandi once said:

"Generosity consists not the sum given, but the manner in which it is bestowed."
Through my study, and personal challenge, I have found myself filtering nearly every idea, and moment through Right Action. It has been a great way to hold myself accountable to making better choices for work, family, and personal health and achievement.

Everyday we have choices that could be to our benefit, or detriment in reducing, or increasing potential suffering:

  • Do I sleep in, or wake up early to get a head start on planning for a productive, and successful day?
  • Do I look at social media, or do I spend time with family and friends?
  • Should I take a nap, or should I exercise?
  • Should I eat out, or should I save my money and pack a healthy lunch?
  • Should I go shopping for something I do not really need, or be grateful for what I already have?

In considering and trying to put Right Action into practice, I have contemplated two different categories of Right Action. These would be Personal Action, and General Action

Personal:

  • Healthy choices (eat right and exercise)
  • Read
  • Meditate
  • Self-reflection and gratitude
  • Social time with friends and family
  • Proper hygiene
  • Personal affirmations
  • Sound financial choices

General:
  • Speak kindly
  • Be polite
  • Practice empathy
  • Offer service
  • Gestures of kindness (thank you notes, gifts, or just a simple message to let someone know you are thinking of them)
  • Volunteer work
  • Charitable donations
  • Maximum effort at work (Right Livelihood)


I know that the above is not terribly original, nor earth-shattering. They are as commonsense as "don't kill." But, by conducting myself through the contemplation of Right Action, I have found greater joy and gratitude in the mundane tasks at work, the simple chores at home, and the smiles I received from my co-workers when I surprised them with donuts. However, I did eat a few too many donuts. So obviously, this man-sloth still has a ways to go to master Right Action!


Right Livelihood -- Or How My Christian Dad Taught Me To Be A Better Buddhist

Contained within the Noble Eightfold Path's teachings of Ethics are Right Action, Right Speech , and Right Livelihood . It is Right L...